Less than 24 hours remain until the album is officially released and I’m sitting here doing nothing but waiting. [false]
For the past two months I’ve been running around like a chicken without its head, not literally but pretty much. In case you didn’t know, If you’re an artist and you’re pretty much doing everything yourself you don’t just sit there and wait for your album to be out, and specially if you’re relatively a newly established artist. You have to become and “Armchair Activist.”
So what have I been doing all this time?
- Putting together a good looking website.
- Creating the teaser video.
- Setting up the online store.
- Setting up the mailing list.
- Figuring out what to give away to the fans where and when.
- Creating all the designs for the merchandise.
- Preparing all mp3s and tagging them.
- Putting together a decent press kit.
- Writing the press release (thanks for the help Alex!)
- Contacting web’zines and radio stations.
- Setting up profiles on gazillions of music related sites.
- Setting up the Facebook fan page, Twitter, MySpace, BandCamp, Youtube, Reverbnation, Last.fm, SoundCloud … Can I stop here. please ? Did I forget to mention maintaining all these pages and keeping them updated with posts and whatnot ?
- Sending promo copies here and there.
- hours and hours of endless photoshopping and preparing images, illustrations and photos.
- Responding to fans!
- Signing posters, wrapping, packing, sealing, printing, shipping.
- Reading tons of articles.
- Blogging (in disguise) … not to mention setting it up, which took me almost 2 days
I’m not sure if I’m forgetting anything, but hey most of these are fun to do and I’m not complaining at all, but can you imagine the amount of time each item needs to complete? Of course I can go in detail into the process for every single item, but I’m not going to bore you. Sometimes I forget to breathe, I really do, the amount of information available to us artists today is really overwhelming. I wish I had more time to do more.
I should be sleeping, it’s the big day tomorrow!